3/29/16

Shooting in Black and White Is Helping Me to Improve My Photography!

Hello all, I hope you are are having a fantastic March!


I have been experimenting with black and white photography more than I ever have, and if you follow me on any of the social media platforms you will have probably noticed that trend! I love this kind of photography because it feels so much more emotional to me, so much more in touch with the human side of the image. That probably sounds cheesy, but hey, that's kind of who I am I suppose.

But why? Because it makes me uncomfortable. What I mean by that is this: I have almost always shot color. I felt like I was in a rut with my work recently and I knew that I had to do something to shake things up a bit. Enter black and white! I have always liked black and white photography, but never shot it personally because I assumed that color was adding things to my photography. So it makes me uncomfortable because I am not used to shooting this way at all, and is presenting itself with a bit of a learning curve for me.

I also want to say that I have been posting quite a bit on my Instagram (check it out by clicking here) recently and is my primary social media site at this point. So head on over and click that "Follow" button!

With all of that said, I am now exclusively shooting black and white and I can already tell that it is helping me improve my photography. It is helping me focus on composition, and drawing out raw emotion in my images, rather than simply capturing what was there. It's so much fun too!

-WP




No comments: